These 5 northern Utah swimming holes need to go on your summer bucket list ASAP! Want a swimming hole with a waterfall? How about one inside a crater? How about a swimming hole surrounded by mountain scenery? Then keep reading…
Commit to Leave No Trace: Some of these locations are real gems and deserve protection. If you are grateful for this list and would like posts like this in the future, then please leave no trace when you go. It is a tricky balance telling people about these places and protecting them from vandalism (trash or graffiti) – we try to strike a good balance here by encouraging you to be extra mindful. Carry out all your trash and report vandalism to the local park ranger office. Take a picture of the vandals if possible. Thank you for your help protecting our public lands!
(BTW we also have 5 Magical Southern Utah Swimming Holes here!)
1. Fifth Water Hot Springs: Hike to natural hot springs in the middle of Diamond Fork canyon! This place is a little heaven on earth where natural hot spring pools are fed by a beautiful waterfall. The hot springs smell like sulphur, but the water is crystal clear! (You should also smell the hot springs before you arrive, which is kinda fun!) Did I mention the waterfall has a little cave under it with a natural hot spring inside? Find out more here.
2. Mona Rope Swings: The Mona Rope Swings are a blast and are located about 30 minutes south of Provo at the Mona Ponds. These ponds aren’t fancy, but the rope swings sure are fun! They have multiple platforms you can use to swing out to the water (as well as some well placed trees). There is even a small rope swing for younger kids to try out (or those a little wary of heights). Find out more here.
3. Meadow Hot Springs: This beautiful hot spring is located on private property, but the owner graciously allows the public to enjoy it (please keep it clean so he continues to do so). This hot spring is actually very deep and it is not uncommon to see scuba divers here. The springs are located a short drive from I-15, making this an easy and must-see detour if you are headed south! Find out more here.
4. Homestead Crater: An all natural geothermal pool…in a crater! How cool is that?! This water is a toasty 96 degrees – and like Meadow Hot Springs – it is popular among scuba divers. Unfortunately, this gem is located at the Midway Utah Resort so you will have to pay an entrance fee of $16 to soak in the pool. Get out your wallet and add it to your bucket list! Find out more here.
5. Indian Baths: Another one that I have on my own bucket list for this summer! The 2 foot deep pool is located at the bottom of a little cascade along the Davis Creek Trail. You have to use some ropes and do some scrambling to reach this area so I wouldn’t recommend it for really young kids. The trail also has a little waterfall you can hike to either before or after you visit the Indian Baths. PLEASE leave no trace when you visit. And if you see vandalism take a picture of the perpetrators and report them! Let’s keep these beautiful places pristine for everyone to enjoy! For more info on this trail click here.
Bloomington Lake: This is NOT in Utah (consider this a bonus). However, it is only one hour away from the Utah side of Bear Lake, so it is worth adding to this list! (That’s about two hours from Logan.) If you are already headed to Bear Lake consider adding this to your trip! Bloomington Lake is an easy hike to a pristine mountain lake. I’m dying to see this place! Be warned though, this is not a hot spring! You will want to visit on a blazing-hot day to counteract the cold water! Find out more here.
Note: If you don’t feel like heading out to Bear Lake and Bloomington Lake then consider Crystal Hot Springs instead (located in Honeyville, UT). It is the highest mineral content hot spring in the country! However, it is a business (with a campground) so you will have to break out your wallets.
>>>>>>ENTER OUR CURRENT INSTAGRAM GIVEAWAY BELOW!<<<<<<
GIVEAWAY!!!!!!! Want to feel like you are living a fairy tale? We’ve teamed up with @lanternfest to give away 10 FREE tickets to the Utah Lantern Fest! Aka: my FAVORITE event in Utah! If you like the idea of sending your wishes up to the stars, hanging around a campfire making s’mores and enjoying quality live music…then this is the event for you! TO ENTER: (1) follow @wanderookie and @lanternfest (2) tag a friend below – enter as many times as you like. For five bonus entires share this event and tag both of us! For those of you with littles, 3 and under are free! (My toddler was mesmerized.) Good luck! TEN winners will be announced Sunday July 24th! #Wanderookie #lanternfest #utahgiveaways #collectmoments #thingstodowithkidsinutah #utahadventures #wowutah #utahisrad #exploreutah #lifeelevated #experienceutah ##slc #saltlakecity #utahcounty #daviscounty #utah #utahbucketlist #utahoutdoors
Think we missed one? Let us know in the comments! Remember this is the Northern Utah list! 🙂