The Secret Treasure of Utah Zion National Park

Overview: To reach the Canyon Overlook trail, you need to hop in your car (since the shuttle doesn’t go that way).

The drive is lovely and you get to go through a mile long tunnel! The parking for the trail is located right at the end of the first tunnel. Seriously. RIGHT at the end so be ready for it!

The trail itself is only one mile, but don’t let that fool you. This has to be one of my favorite hikes of all time!

Zach’s favorite part was the desert bighorn sheep parkouring it on the side of the opposite cliff. Oh, and just so you can feel as cool as the sheep, you are also on a cliff edge. (Kids should definitely be supervised at all times on this hike!)

We reached the end of the trail just in time for sunset. From the viewpoint you can see The Grove of the Patriarchs in the distance.

The whole trail took us about an hour (it is a bit steep at the beginning and you’ll want to spend time just soaking in the view at the end).

Did I mention the wildlife at Zion? I have never seen so many animals up close except at a zoo. It was common for baby deer to wander the campground as well as lizards and wild turkeys. During our trip we also saw a canyon hawk, lizards, a tarantula and lots of bats once the sun started to set.

Traveling Far?: Zach and I love staying at airbnb locations! If you sign up for a free account through the image below, you can get $27 free travel credit!

airbnbbanner

Tips:

• We finished off our day at Zion by camping at the Watchman Campground (it has flushing toilettes which is a big deal for me). This campground is by reservation and costs about $20 a night. They start reserving in April and you’ll want to reserve as soon as possible!

Trail Details:

Length: 1 mile round trip

Difficulty: Easy (warning steep drop-offs)

Location: Utah Zion National Park. Park in the small parking lot right at the end of the Zion Mount-Carmel Tunnel on Route 9. The trailhead is across the road.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. We would love to hear how your hike went or hear suggestions of hikes we may not have heard of before!

Note: If you have any questions regarding Zion National Park’s regulations on dogs, please visit http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/pets.htm .

Comments

• wADMIN says

Hey Ogden! I didn’t know you guys tried it on your Zion trip! Was it because we suggested it? (Say yes because that would make me feel awesome.) 😉

• Ogden says

haha the details are fuzzy but we’ll go with yes :) I am pretty sure it was an uncontested “we need to do this hike! It’s awesome and everyone who has done it loved it!”

1. Jackie Cooley says

The Kannaraville hike is a must. I took my 13 year old granddaughter and she wants to go back with friends.

• wADMIN says

Hey Jackie! I totally agree! I LOVE that trail! We actually have a post on it on Wanderookie! We saw some foreign tourists on the trail from Germany, which just proves how amazing it is (even if it is not in Zion)!

2. Kelly Smith says

Is there a way to access this trail despite not having a car? We are traveling to Zion at a time where vehicles are not allowed and we have to take the shuttle itself, we have no choice and this hike looks awesome. Thanks!

• wADMIN says

Hey Kelly! I’m just hopping on the blog again now that the weather is warming up and the snow is starting to thaw! (Sry it took me so long to see your comment!) The shuttle service does not go on this road. Therefore, you will need a car to get to the trailhead. The trailhead is actually very close to the park entrance though (just through the Zion Mount-Carmel Tunnel). However, the road up is very steep (ruling out biking) and the tunnel has no space for pedestrians to pass through (ruling out walking). So I am afraid without a car you won’t be able to access this trail. Why are cars not allowed when you are visiting? Is the road closed due to snow? Normally this route 9 is open to private vehicles since it is not part of the main road through Zion.

Trackbacks

1. […] 5. Canyon View in Zion: If you want your kids to see a breathtaking view of Zion (without the Angel’s Landing switch-backs), view parkouring mountian goats or trek across cliff-side bridges – this is the trail for you! This family friendly trail is the secret treasure of Utah Zion National Park! It’s my favorite family hike in Zion. For more details click here. […]